Follow us on :
Follow us on :

We are working remotely during these trying times to make sure we can still support you in all your legal matters.

Please know you can call us or schedule online appointments for any of your legal matters. Be well and stay safe.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Immigration
  4.  » Helping your family members move to the U.S.

Helping your family members move to the U.S.

On Behalf of | Oct 18, 2021 | Family Immigration |

If you want to help a family member move to the U.S., you need to take a look at your unique circumstances. For example, immigration laws are different for U.S. citizens and permanent residents who wish to help loved ones move to the U.S., and there are many other factors that require your consideration.

It is critical to go over the requirements associated with helping loved ones immigrate and approach the process carefully in order to secure a favorable end result.

Filing an immigrant visa petition for a family member

According to the U.S. Department of State, foreign nationals can immigrate to the U.S. if sponsored by immediate relatives. In order to sponsor a family member who is a foreign national, you must be at least 21 years old and have a green card or U.S. citizenship.

If you have U.S. citizenship, you can file a petition for your spouse, child, parent or sibling. U.S. citizens can file petitions for more distant family members, but there are annual limits with regard to the number of immigrants approved. If you have a green card, you are only able to file a petition for your spouse or child, so long as your child is not married.

Approaching the family immigration process

There are many different factors you need to consider if you are thinking about helping a loved one move to the U.S. Make sure you go over the application process closely and find answers to any questions or areas of uncertainty. Discuss these issues with your loved one(s) and try to stay positive, even though this is often a very stressful situation.