Follow us on :
Follow us on :

We are working remotely during these trying times to make sure we can still support you in all your legal matters.

Please know you can call us or schedule online appointments for any of your legal matters. Be well and stay safe.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Immigration
  4.  » What are the eligibility requirements for getting a fiancé visa?

What are the eligibility requirements for getting a fiancé visa?

On Behalf of | Feb 11, 2022 | Family Immigration |

When you live in New Jersey and wish to marry someone who was born somewhere other than the United States, you may decide to seek a fiancé visa so that your fiancé may come and stay with you ahead of your marriage. To do so, you and your situation must meet certain specific eligibility requirements.

According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, you and your situation must meet the following criteria for you to be able to pursue a  fiancé visa for your romantic partner.

Understanding fiancé visa eligibility requirements

To secure a visa on behalf of your fiancé, you must be at least 18. You and your fiancé also have to be single and free to marry, and you must plan to tie the knot within 90 days of your partner arriving on U.S. soil. Furthermore, you and your fiancé have to prove that you met each other in person at least once within the two-year span preceding you filing your petition for a visa. However, you may be able to get around this if meeting in person would violate cultural norms or cause you to experience extreme hardship.

Failing to marry within 90 days

A fiancé visa only entitles you to marry within 90 days of your partner’s arrival in the United States. There is no extension available. Thus, failing to marry within the 90-day span means your fiancé must leave the United States or risk facing deportation.

To obtain a fiancé visa, you also need to demonstrate that you want the visa because you are truly in love with your partner, and not because he or she needs some type of immigration benefit, such as a green card.